Tuesday 13 September 2016

A Few Things You Should Know Before Starting A YouTube Channel


I quite often get asked questions based around starting a YouTube channel, so today I thought I would jump right into it and tell you a few things I think you should know if you're planning on starting one. 

Criticism and Hate - Just like the real world, not everyone is going to like you, and thats absolutely fine. If everyone had the same opinion, the world would simply be a very boring place. However a lot of people in this world don't know when to keep their opinions to themselves and yes, as a YouTuber you will receive a little or a lot of hate and abuse. People will pick out your flaws and go on and on about them because some people are just purely nasty. I don't like to say it, but it's true. By all means, I'm not a negative person and I would love to say that making YouTube videos is amazing and everyone loves my videos, but that would be a lie. Some people will like you and your videos and other won't. You cannot let those negative people put you off, you've just got to push through and ignore it. 

Hard Work -  Making YouTube videos might seem easy but it's most certainly not. When popular YouTuber's reach the stage where they are able to earn a living by making videos, they quite often seem to receive a lot of negative feedback about how it's 'such an easy job' and it's 'basically free money.' Quite honestly, that's a ridiculous opinion. Especially if you don't actually know the specific amount of time it takes to create amazing content. My YouTube channel is currently my hobby. I roughly spend anywhere between 4-8 hours a week filming, editing and uploading videos. Then I have my written blog on the side which takes up another good 4 hours or so per week. My YouTube channel is still only small and pretty much all of my spare time goes into it. But you've got to be willing to put in that time and effort in order to produce good content, resulting in more subscribers. 

Stressful - Again, although it is my hobby and some people may think it's easy, believe me it's not. I have over 15,000 now expecting me to stick to my schedule and upload 2 videos per week. Although I set this schedule up myself and I technically don't have to stick to it, I like to. I don't want to let people down. However sometimes, life gets in the way and things can get extremely stressful. I have to always plan ahead incase of any holidays I have booked, or if I'm down for a lot of shifts at work. Sometimes I find myself having to film 2 weeks worth of videos in the short space of a few days. So yes, things can get stressful when you're trying to please so many people and I reckon a lot of people just don't realise this. 

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore making YouTube videos and writing these blogposts. If I didn't, I simply wouldn't do it. But I do think that sometimes people need to understand the difficulties of it, just like any other job and if you're considering starting a YouTube channel, just have a little think about the points I've made today first. 

But most importantly, have fun with it and use it as a space of freedom. It can lead to so many amazing things! 


No comments:

Post a Comment