Tuesday 30 December 2014

Choosing Happiness For 2015 ♡

       

So it's almost the end of another year! I have seen a lot of blog posts on 'new years resolutions' and although they can be a nice idea, I wanted to do something a little different. I'm not going to set myself any new years resolutions this year, but I just thought I would write a little post on a topic that's been quite important in my life these last few months and that i'm going to be focusing on in the new year.

I've already got a blog post scheduled for New Years Day which I am super excited about! I just did a round up of the year, highlights, best bits, that kinda stuff. But I wanted to write one a bit more specific on Happiness and just being in the right frame of mind etc. 

I have written a blog post before purely on 'Being Happy' which you can read here, but today I wanted to just have a bit of an 'open up' and maybe help any of you reading.

We all have times in our life when things go wrong or don't go the way we planned. It's inevitable that it's going to happen, and I suppose in a way, it's a good thing that we feel sadness so that we can appreciate happiness. But at the end of the day nobody wants to feel sad for long periods of time and I think there are a few things that should be thought about when you're feeling down.

I personally went through a really hard time about 3 months ago and to be completely honest, it still effects my day to day life now and I know that i'm still not in a completely happy place. I find myself crying for no reason, getting really worked up and overthinking everything that went on and I know it's not good for me and I need to just forget it and MOVE ON but I just can't seem to completely do that. 

I was scrolling through tumblr this morning and saw the quote 'Happiness is a state of mind' (pictured above) and that was what gave me the inspiration to write this blog post. 
I realised that I seriously need to forget about everything that happened because that was just one chapter of my life, a great one that I don't want to forget, but I have to for the sake of my own happiness. There is so much more to life then dwelling on the past and sometimes it can be really hard to remember that. When you're having a hard time whether that be you've fallen out with your friends, you're going through a breakup or you're feeling down about something completely different, it's hard to see all of the positive things you also have in your life. You can surround yourself with all of the happiness and friends and family but sometimes, it's just something you've got to do by yourself. 

The one really important thing that I have to keep telling myself is that your life is essentially a book. You've got so many different chapters, and the magical thing is that a lot of those are still unwritten for you. Some parts you may not have any control over, but there is also a lot of parts that you do. Like Hazel Grace Lancaster said in The Fault In Our Stars ' You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world, but you do have some say in who hurts you...' 

Everything we do in life is a learning curve. All of the good experiences and the bad ones make up who we are today. And we're all still learning! I know it's hard, but you have to see the good in everything. In every bad situation there will always be something good to come out of it. So for me, going through that break-up was a horrible experience but I know there are positive things to come out of it. So even though right now it feels like i've lost everything, that I won't ever find someone else, that I won't ever feel this way about anyone again and that all of those happy memories of the relationship have been for nothing, I know that deep down it was for the best, and that I will eventually find someone else and that he is happier now which means a lot to me. About a month ago I got a new book to have a flip through when I was feeling particularly sad and I found a quote in it which fits perfectly with what i've just said.' The harsh reality is that even if you have everything else in common, the one thing that you don't have in common is the belief that your relationship can work '.  

So in the new year, I am going to try my very best to focus on the future and focus on the great things in my life. You can't waste your life away feeling sad about things you have no control over and that is one thing I've learned. By feeling sad all of the time, you're stopping yourself from finding happiness elsewhere. Happiness is a choice and I'm going to choose it in 2015. 

Emily 

No comments:

Post a Comment